The Department is founded in 1965. At present 30 employees work in the department, including: 3 Doctors of phys.-math. science and 12 Candidates of phys.-math. science. Honoured worker of science and engineering of Ukraine, Professor M.D.Gabovich was founder and head of the Department in 1965-1985. In 1986-2007 the Department was headed by Honoured worker of science and engineering of Ukraine, Corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Professor I.O.Soloshenko. O.A.Goncharov and I.O.Soloshenko as a part of creative team became laureates of Ukrainian State award in science and engineering in 2007.
- Ion-beam plasma physics
- Gas discharge physics and plasma kinetics
- New beam-plasma technologies
- For the first time high-current plasma lenses (PL) are realized. Complex studies (experiment, theory, numerical modeling) of their static and dynamic characteristics, collective phenomena and focusing features are accomplished. In joint experiments with LBNL (Berkley, USA), the possibility of PL use as highly efficient and extremely economical device for manipulating wide-aperture high-current heavy ion beams is demonstrated.
- On a base of plasma-optical ideas a set of technological plasma devices is developed applicable for cleaning, activation, orientation of the surface, as well as for synthesis of functional coatings with predetermined features.
- Idea of the space charge lens for focusing negative ion beam is proposed, and its efficiency is experimentally demonstrated.
- Numerical model for research of processes occurring in the plasma lens with positive space charge for focusing negative ion beams is constructed and used for studies of processes of plasma structure formation in such system; influence of this structure on ion beam focusing is also studied.
- It is determined that the rate of wide-aperture ion beam compression by means of PL in optimum regime is limited by value of the beam phase volume. In regimes far from optimum one, the PL is a convenient object for generation and researches of large-scale electron vortex structures.
- For the first time kinetics of hollow cathode low pressure gas discharge plasma is studied in details, and peculiarities of the electron energy distribution function in such type of the discharge are determined.
- Theoretical and experimental researches of the component content of species formed in plasma-chemical reactor based on volume barrier discharge in mixture of N2, O2, and H2O are accomplished.
- Researches of plasma kinetics in the discharges of KrF-, ArF- and XeCl- excimer lasers enabled reaching outstanding values of laser generation energy.
- Physical background of the technology of plasma sterilization of medical instruments by means of low pressure discharge plasma is created. Experimental model of the plasma sterilizer with parameters overcoming those of foreign analogs is elaborated.
- Theory of magnetron-based deposition of binary compounds is developed taking into account diffusion of the compound components along growing film surface.
By means of numerical modeling diffusion growth of colloidal particles and nanoparticles are studied, as well as the processes of formation of nanoparticles possessing different shape in dependence of the solution concentration.
- O.Goncharov, I.Protsenko. Electrostatic plasma lens (state and prospects) /Visnyk Kyivskogo Natsioonalnogo Universytetu imeni T.G.Shevchenka, Radiofizika ta Elektronika, #6, pp.39-45, 2004.
- A.Goncharov and I.Brown. High-Current Heavy Ion Beams in the Electroststic Plasma Lens/ IEEE trans. On Plasma Sci. v.32, # 1, pp.80-83, 2004.
Yu.Chekh, A.Goncharov, I.Protsenko and Ian Brown. Effect of the electrostatic plasma lens on the emittance of a high-current heavy ion beam //Applied physics letter, v.86, 041502, 2005.
- A.A.Goncharov, I.M.Protsenko, G.Y.Yushkov and I.G.Brown. Manipulating large-area, heavy metal ion beams with a high-current electrostatic plasma lens//IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., v.28, #6, pp.2238-2246, 2000.
- A.Goncharov, S.Gubarev, A.Dobrovolskij, I.Litovko, I.Protsenko. Peculiarities of focusing of heavy ion beams by high-current plasma lens // Fizika Plazmy, v.26, #9, pp.838-844, 2000.
- A.Goncharov. Status of the electrostatic plasma lens //Rev. Sci. Instr., vol.73, # 2, pp.1004-1006, 2002.
- V.Gorshkov, A.Goncharov, A.Zavalov. Numerical modeling of high-current plasma lens // Fizika Plazmy, v.29, #10, pp.939-948, 2003.
- I.A.Soloshenko, V.A.Khomich, V.V.Tsiolko, I.L.Mikhno, V.Yu.Bazhenov, A.V.Ryabtsev, A.I.Shchedrin. Application of low pressure glow discharge for sterilization of medical instruments //Fizika Plazmy, v.26, #8, pp.845-853, 2000.
- V.Yu.Bazhenov, A.V.Ryabtsev, I.A.Soloshenko, A.G.Terent’eva, V.A.Khomich, V.V.Tsiolko and A.I.Shchedrin. Investigation of the electron energy distribution function in hollow cathode glow discharges in nitrogen and oxygen// Plasma Physics Reports, v.27, #9, p.813, 2001.
- V.Yu.Bazhenov, A.G.Kaluzhnaya, I.A.Soloshenko, A.F.tarasenko, A.G.Terent’eva, V.V.tsiolko, A.I.Shchedrin. Inversion of the electron energy distribution in hollow-cathode glow discharge in nitrigen-sulfur hexafluoride gas mixture//Technical Physics Letters, v.31, #11, pp.922-924, 2005.
- I.A.Soloshenko, V.Yu.Bazhenov, V.A.Khomich, V.V.Tsiolko, N.G.Potapchenko. Comparative research of efficiency of water decontamination by UV radiation of cold hollow cathode discharge plasma versus that of low- and medium-pressure mercury lamps// IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., v.34, #4, pp.1365-1369, 2006.
- I.A.Soloshenko, V.V.Tsiolko, S.S.Pogulay, A.G.Terent’yeva, V.Yu Bazhenov, A I Shchedrin, A V Ryabtsev and A I Kuzmichev. The component content of active particles in a plasma-chemical reactor based on volume barrier discharge // Plasma Sources Sci. Technol. 16, pp. 56–66, 2007.
- A.M.Zavalov, V.N.Gorshkov, V.B.Privman. Shape selection in diffusive growth of colloids and nanoparticles//Langmuir,v.26, 2009.
A.M.Zavalov, V.N.Gorshkov, I.A.Soloshenko. Process of compensation of the space charge of a negative ion beam in a gas// Plasma Physics Reports, v.33, #12, pp.1127-1133, 2007.
- V.P.Goretskij, I.A.Soloshenko, A.I.Shchedrin. Space charge lens for focusing negative ion beams //Fizika Plazmy, v.27, #4, pp.356-360, 2001.
- A.M.Zavalov, V.N.Gorshkov, V.P.Goretskij, I.A.Soloshenko. Space charge lens for focusing negative ion beam //Fizika Plazmy, v.29, #5, pp.1-5, 2003.
- V.P.Goretskij, A.M.Zavalov, I.A.Soloshenko. Space charge lens for focusing negative ion beam in regime with additional gas ionization by electron flow //Fizika Plazmy, v.31, #10, pp.923-927, 2005.
Prof. O.A.Honcharov and his group at the scientific and technological stand.
Senior researcher V.V.Tsiolko and his group at the experimental test bench
to study the properties of electronegative plasma.
Theorists of the discussion results.
Employees V.Y. Bazhenov, V.V. Tsiolko and engineer Terentieva A.G.
conducting studies of plasma sterilizer.
V.P. Goresky and engineer 2 cat. O. Kalishek
after study properties of negative ion beams.
O.A. Goncharov and his group: A.M. Dobrovolsky, S.M. Gubarev, graduate student M. Cech
for discussion experiment on plasma lens.