In 1962, at the very beginning of the “laser era”, an initiative group was created under supervising of Prof. V. L. Broude in the Department of Physics of Crystals (head Acamemician A. F. Prihot’ko). This group started active researches in optical quantum electronics. Just in the first publication (V. L. Broude, M. S. Soskin et al, 1962) a possibility was shown for laser oscillations to occur at the electron-vibrational transitions. The group has formed a “sceleton” of the Department of Optical Quantum Electronics which was established in 1965 under leadership of V. L. Broude.
Then, due to his departure to the Institute of Solid State Physics (Chernogolovka), M. S. Soskin was nominated the head of the Department and he holds this position up to now. 11 Doctor of Science and more than 60 Candidate of Sciences dissertations were defended during the time of the Department existence. A Laboratory of Multiwave Interaction was created whithin the Department and worked under the leadership of Doctor of Science A. I. Khizhniak. A Laboratory of Applied Holography was separated from the Department and has grown up to the International Institute of Applied Optics (first Director Doctor of Science V. B. Markov), now under leadership of V. B. Taranenko (both are former coworkers of the OQE Department). The first main direction of the researches of the Department mostly compleated in 70s was the creation of tunable lasers which wavelength can be varied, particularly during the oscillation (V. I. Kravchenko, “sweep-lasers”).
For this goal dispersive cavities were proposed (Author Sertificate #164325 dated 01.03.1963). First set of tunable lasers was created (Ukrainian SSR State Award, 1974).
At the present time, the investigations at the Department are carried out along the three directions:
Dynamic holography, where the main efforts are directed to
- Deceleration and acceleration of light pulses bu the use of self-diffraction by dynamic gratings.
- Dynamics of light oscillators based on four-wave mixing interactions in crystals. Oscillation with frequency-shifted feedback.
- Investigation of photorefractive nonlinearity of a semiconductor and development of an ultrasound detectors.
- Study of a nonlinear effect of photoinduced scattering in photorefractive materials and development of a new technique for determination of photo- and ferroelectric properties of media and the processes of thermal fixing of phase holograms by light-scattering technique.
- Search, improvement and optimization of nonlinear matereals parameters for nearly frequency-degenerate four-wave mixing (photorefractive crystals, dielectrics with DX centers, nitroprussides and others). Investigation of nonlinear interactions in low-symmetry crystals.
Singular Optics, where the main directions are:
- Elaboration of theoretical and experimental researches in polarization singular optics (the topology of vector speckle fields).
- Investigation of a microstructure (morphology) of formation regularities and properties of topological networks of polarization singularities.
- Elaboration of the principles of the dynamic singular optics, analysis of evolution and motion of topological objects in a light field in real time.
- Investigation of phase and group velocoties of light in the complicated wave fields with wve-front dislocations.
- Elaboration of the methods for information coding and communications on a basis of optical vortices and decoding by the use of spectral decomposition along the orbital angular momentum components.
Biological photophysics and optics, where the main efforts are directed to:
- Investigation of photophysical processes which take place in biological media under the influence of laser radiation.
- Study of the mechanisms of photo-transformations of provitamin D by methods of UV spectroscopy and mathematical modeling of the photoreactions kinetics.
- Elaboration of an express method of measuring of a specific biological activity of UV solar radiation and creation of a personal liquid-crystal biological dose meter.
- Investigation of a photo-transformation in retinal photoreceptors by methods of dynamic holography.
- Exploitation of the biological photoreceptor bacteriorhodopsin and its genetic and chemical modifications for spatial modulations of light and optical memory.
In the field of Singular Optics:
- Methods for optical vortices generation were created on the basis of computer synthesis of holographic gratings; nucleation of optical-vortices quadruples was detected and analyzed in self focusing/defocusing media. With the aid of a model of self-induced Gaussian nonlinear lenses the origin of the quadruples was explained. A theory of topological evolution of wave fronts of laser beams and the processes of topological reactions in combined beams with optical vortices was elaborated.
- At the first time in optical domain an experiment was performed on the measuring of rotational Doppler effect. The first device for photons sorting along their orbital angular momentum was realized. At the first time a quantization of a projection of an orbital angular momentum of an optical beam misaligned with respect to a reference axis.
- An analysis of an optical field at the “Poisson’s spot” revealed a noniceable variation of a phase velocity of a wave front propagation.
For optical field with complicate spatial structure (speckle-field) the regularities of a scalar singularities (optical vortices) network formation are determined as well as for vector (polarization) singularities.
- The processes are analyzed of nucleation and annihilation of polarization singularities in time-dependent inhomogeneous speckle-fields, or varying by an external parmeter.
In the field of dynamic holography:
- It was shown that optimized CdTe:Ge crystals possess high photorefractive nonlinearity in the recording of reflection gratings due to high traps density caused by Ge doping. Highest among semiconductors exponential gain coefficient was achieved which exceeds in about three times the known before for the recording at the wavelength 1.06 µm and 1.5 times at the wavelength 1.55 µm.
- First time an adaptive detector of ultrasound vibrations was realized where detection regime was organized by external rectangular phase modulation. This detector based on CdTe:Ge has achieved the best sensitivity with respect to all known detectors operating without external fields.
- A new type of oscillation kinetics was observed and analyzed in Sn2P2S6 called as “optical multivibrator” regime. The origin was shown to consist in the competition of counter-phase gratings of space charge, formed by charge carriers of opposite signs. Substantional encrease of the nonstationary gain of signal wave pulses in Sn2P2S6 was obtained by means of phase modulation.
- A noticeable delay of light pulses without change of their intensity was demonstrated in the recording of dynamic gratings in a crystal with two types of mobile charge carriers. By means of nonlinear optics technique the data were obtained for all tensor components of the linear electro-optical effect and for anisotropy of the dielectric constant of Sn2P2S6.
- The models were developed for parametric and wide angular photo-induced scattering of light in photorefractive crystals with mixed photovoltaic/diffusion response. Optical methods for remote analysis were developed for (a) ferroelectrical and photoelectrical properties of a relaxor Sr0.61Ba0.39Nb2O6, and (b) ferroelectrical properties of a ferroelectric LiNbO3.
- Recording of the phase gratings was achieved with the photoinduced variation of a refractive index due to the excitation of metastable short-life states in a sodium nitropusside Na2[Fe(CN) 5NO]*2H2O by single short pulse.
In the field of biophotonics:
- An express spectral method was developed for concentration analysis of multi component mixture of photo isomers of a provitamin D taking into account its nonreversible photodegradation, an influence of the parameters of laser UV radiation (wavelength, pulse duration and its intensity) on the kinetics of the photo isomerization of provitamin D was studied and mathematical models of photoreaction were developed with adequate description of its kinetics under conditions of laser irradiation and conformal mobility of photoisomers.
- On the basis of the developed model of photoreaction kinetics a new algorithm of calculation of vitamin-D synthesis ability of solar UV radiation was proposed with the use of spectral radiometric measurements or mathematically modeled solar light spectrum.
- A holographic technique was elaborated for the study of the optical processes which accompany aqueous exchange in a purple membrane with a transmembrane retinal-protein Bacteriorhodopsin. It was shown that in the purple monomembrane light-induced variations of the number of water molecules at the membrane channel are important for a modulation of the dynamic holographic recording and are seen more pronounced in the holographic kinetics than in the Bacteriorhodopsin absorption spectra.
- On a basis of nonlinear-optics properties of Bacteriorhodopsin and its modifications a photoanisotropic transformation of non-coherent low-intensity optical signals into coherent ones was proposed with simultaneous spatial modulation of their intensity; a partial blocking of images with a determined intensity level was achieved in a real time only by use of a variation of a low power exciting radiation (pure optical realization of the dark field method).
- I.P. Terenetska, M.V. Vasnetsov, P.S. Kapinos, D.S. Kasyanyuk ‘Method of visual determination of ‘antirachitic’ biologic dose of ultraviolet radiation’, Patent of Ukraine № 114005, 27.02.2017. Патент України №114005 «Спосіб візуального визначення антирахітної біологічної дози ультрафіолетового випромінювання», Теренецька І.П., Васнєцов М.В., Капінос П.С., Касянюк Д.С.
- I. Terenetskaya “Three operation modes of the Vitamin D Biodosimeter”, Proc. of SPIE, 2016, Vol. 9887 doi: 10.1117/12.2229756
- P.S. Kapinos, T.N. Orlova, and I.P. Terenetskaya «UV biodosimeter with visual detection of vitamin D synthesis using θ-cell», Mol. Cryst. & Liq. Cryst., 2015, v.615, pp.1-8. DOI: 10.1080/15421406.2015.1066953
- V.V. Ponevchinsky, P.S. Kapinos, I.P. Terenetskaya, M.S. Soskin, M.V. Vasnetsov «Phase-resolved structure of a disclination in a liquid-crystal θ-cell”, Optics Communications, 2014, v.329, pp.129–134
- В. П. Клочков, Л. Ф. Козлов, И. В. Потыкевич, М. С. Соскин, Лазерная анемометрия, дистанционная спектроскопия и интерферометрия, (Наукова думка, Киев, 1985).
- S. Odoulov, M. Soskin, Coherent optical oscillation due to vectorial four-wave mixing in photorefractive crystals, in "Laser Physics of Condensed Matter", (Plenum Press, N.Y. 1988).
- S. G. Odoulov, M. S. Soskin Amplification, Oscillation and Light-Induced Scattering in Photorefractive Crystals in: "Photorefractive Crystals and Applications", eds. J.-P. Huignard and P. Guenter, Topics in Applied Physics, (Springer Verlag, Geidelberg, Germany, 1989).
- V. Yu. Bazhenov, M. S. Soskin, V. B. Taranenko, M. V. Vasnetsov Biopolimers for real-Time Optical Processing in: "Optical Computing", eds. H. H. Arsenault, T. Szoplik, B. Macukow, (Academic Press, London, 1989).
- А. И. Хижняк, С. Г. Одулов, М. С. Соскин, Лазеры на динамических решетках, (Наука, Изд. Физ.-мат. Литературы, 1990, Москва).
- A. I. Khizhnyak, S. G. Odoulov, M. S. Soskin, Optical oscillators with Degenerate Four-Wave Mixing (Dynamic Grating Lasers), (Harwood Academic publishers, London, 1991).
- S. Odoulov, B. Sturman, M. Goul'kov, Parametric four-wave processes in photorefractive crystals, Physics Reports, (1996).
- M. S. Soskin and M. V. Vasnetsov, Linear Theory of Optical Vortices in: "Optical vortices", eds. M. Vasnetsov and K. Staliunas (Nova Science, N. Y., 1999).
- C.P. Smith, R.G. McDuff, N.R. Heckenberg, M.S. Soskin and M.V. Vasnetsov, Experimental Realisation and Detection of Optical Vortices in: "Optical vortices", eds. M. Vasnetsov and K. Staliunas (Nova Science, N. Y., 1999).
- M. S. Soskin and M. V. Vasnetsov, Singular optics in: Progress in optics, ed. E. Wolf, (Elsevier Science B. V., Amsterdam, 2001).
- Soskin M. S., Gorshkov V. N., Vasnetsov M. V., Malos J. T., Heckenberg N. R. Topological charge and angular momentum of light beams carrying optical vortices. Phys. Rev. A – 1997 - V. 56 - P. 4064 – 4075.
- Басистый И. В., Бекшаев А. Я., Васнецов М. В., Слюсар В. В., Соскин М. С. Наблюдение ротационного эффекта Доплера у оптических пучков с геликоидальным волновым фронтом при помощи спиральной зонной пластинки. Письма ЖЭТФ – 2002 – T. 76 – C. 566 – 570.
- M. Vasnetsov, V. Pas’ko, A. Khoroshun, V. Slyusar, M. Soskin. Observation of superluminal wave-front propagation at the shadow area behind an opaque disk Optics Letters 32, 1830- 1832 (2007).
- M. Soskin, M. Vasnetsov, V. Denisenko, V. Slyusar. Optical singularities in holography and speckles. In: New directions in holography and speckles, American Sci. Publishers, 2008.
- Roman I. Egorov, Marat S. Soskin and Isaac Freund, Experimental optical diabolos Opt. Lett. – 2006. – V.31. – 13. – pp.2048-2050.
- Roman I. Egorov and Marat S. Soskin, David A. Kessler and Isaac Freund, Experimental Measurements of Topological Singularity Screening in Random Paraxial Scalar and Vector Optical Fields. Phys. Rev. Lett. - 2008. - V.100. - 103901.
- Alexei D. Kiselev, Roman G.Vovk, Roman I. Egorov and Vladimir G. Chigrinov, Polarization-resolved angular patterns of nematic liquid crystal cells: Topological events driven by incident light polarization. Phys. Rev. A — 2008. - V.78. - 033815
- S. Odoulov, B. Sturman, Photorefraction with the Photovoltaic Charge Transport in: "Progress in Photorefractive Nonlinear Optics" (Taylor & Francis, 2002).
- M. Goulkov, O. Shinkarenko, L. Ivleva, P. Lykov, T. Granzow, T. Woike, M. Imlau, M. Woehlecke, “New parametric scattering in photorefractive SBN:Cr”, Phys.Rev.Lett., 91, 243903 (2003).
- M. Imlau, T. Biennger, S. Odoulov, Th. Woike, Holographic 3D Memories in: "Nanoelectronics and Information Technology: Advanced Electronic Materials and Novel Devices" (Wiley, Canada, 2003).
- A. Shumelyuk, K. Shcherbin, S. Odoulov, B. Sturman, E. Podivilov, and K. Buse, Slowing down of light in photorefractive crystals with beam intensity coupling reduced to zero Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 243604 (2004).
- M. Imlau, M. Goulkov, M. Fally, Th. Woike, "Characterization of polar oxides by photo-induced light scattering", Chapter in “Polar Oxides: Properties, Characterization and Imaging", Eds. R. Waser, U. Bottger, S. Tiedke, Wiley-VCH Weinheim [ISBN: 3-527-40532-1] (2004).
- A. A. Grabar, M. Jazbinsek, A. N. Shumelyuk, Yu. M. Vysochanskii, G. Montemezzani, and P. Gunter, “Photorefractive effects in Sn_2 P_2 S_6 ,” in Photorefractive materials and their applications II, P. Gunter and J.-P. Huignard, ed. (Springer Science + Business Media, Inc., New York). Vol. 114 , pp. 327-362, 2007.
- A. Shumelyuk, A. Hryhorashchuk, and S. Odoulov, Coherent optical oscillator with periodic zero-Pi phase modulation, Phys. Rev. A 72, 023819 (2005).
- A. Shumelyuk, A. Hryhorashchuk, S. Odoulov, and D. R. Evans, Transient gain enhancement in photorefractive crystals with two types of movable charge carrier, Optics Letters, 32, 1959-1961, (2007).
- K. Shcherbin, “Recent progress in semiconductor photorefractive crystals” in Photorefractive materials and their applications II, P. Gunter and J.-P. Huignard, ed. (Springer Science + Business Media, Inc., New York 2007).
- V. Dieckmann, A. Selinger, M. Imlau, and M. Goulkov, “Fixed-index gratings in LiNbO3:Fe upon long-term exposure to an intense laser beam”, Opt. Lett, 32, 3510 (2007).
- M. Goulkov, M. Imlau, Th. Woike, Photorefractive parameters of lithium niobate crystals from photoinduced light scattering, Phys. Rev. B 77, 235110 (2008).
- A. Volkov, A. Shumelyuk, S. Odoulov, D.R. Evans and G. Cook, Anisotropic diffraction from photorefractive gratings and Pockels tensor of Sn2P2S6, Opt. Express, 16, 16923 (2008).
- M. Imlau, T. Biennger, S. Odoulov, Th. Woike, Holographic 3D Memories in: "Nanoelectronics and Information Technology: Advanced Electronic Materials and Novel Devices" (Wiley, Canada, Second Edition 2009).
- K. Shcherbin, High photorefractive gain at counterpropagating geometry in CdTe:Ge at 1:064 µm and 1:55 µm, Applied Optics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 371-374, 2009.
- E. Korchemskaya, D. Stepanchikov, N. Burykin, Potentials of Dynamic Holography on Bacteriorhodopsin Films for Real-Time Optical Processing in: "Bioelectronic Applications of Photochromic Pigments"(IOS Press, Amsterdam - Berlin - Oxford - Tokyo - Washington, DC, 2001).
- E. Korchemskaya, D. Stepanchikov, Photoinduced Anisotropy and Dynamic Polarization Holography on Bacteriorhodopsin Films for Optical Information Processing in: "Molecular Electronics: Bio-sensors and Bio-computers" (Kluwer Academic Publishers, the Netherlands, 2003).
- O.N.Galkin and I.P. Terenetskaya, "Vitamin D" biodosimeter: basic characteristics and prospect applications" J.Photochem.Photobiol. B:Biology, 1999, v.53, N1, pp12-19.
- D. Bolsee, A. R. Webb, D. Gillotay, B. Dorschel, P. Knuschke, A. Krins, and I. Terenetskaya "Laboratory facilities and recommendations for the characterization of biological ultraviolet dosimeters", Applied Optics, 2000, Vol.39, No.16, pp.2813-2822.
- M. Aronishidze; A. Chanishvili, G. Chilaya, G. Petriashvili; S. Tavzarashvili, L. Lisetski, I.Gvozdovskyy, I. Terenetskaya "Colour change effect based on provitamin D photoisomerization in cholesteric liquid crystalline mixtures", Mol.Cryst. & Liq.Cryst., Vol. 420 (2004) pp. 47-53.
- Теренецька І.П, Патент України №15712 „Спосіб вимірювання дози біоактивного ультрафіолетового випромінювання” / Заявл. 06.01.06; Опубл. 17.07.06. Бюл. №7.
- Орлова Т. Н., Теренецкая И. П. Особенности фотоизомеризации провитамина D3 в нематическом жидком кристалле // Опт. и cпектр. – 2006. – T.100, №4. - C. 637-642
- Tatiana N. Orlova and Irina P. Terenetskaya, “Useful algorithm for calculations the vitamin D synthetic capacity of sunlight”, Proc. 18th Int. Congress of Biometeorology, 22-26 September, 2008, Tokyo, Japan, (ICB2008, Ecosystem Eco-P06).
- E. Korchemskaya, D. Stepanchikov, S. Bugaychuk, N. Burykin, Dynamic Holography for Study of Nonlinear Optical Processes in Biological Photoreceptor Molecule in "From Cells to Proteins: Imaging Nature across Dimensions" (Springer, the Netherlands, 2005).
- E. Korchemskaya, N. Burykin, S. Bugaychuk, O. Maksymova, T. Ebrey, S. Balashov, “Dynamic holography in bacteriorhodopsin/gelatin films: effects of light-dark adaptation at different humidity” Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2007, v.83, pp.403–408.
Group dynamic holography at work: ch.k. Nano S.G. Odulov and doctoral Senior Researcher,
Ph.D. A.M. Shumelyuk (Prize of the President of Ukraine for young scientists, 2003), Senior Researcher, Ph.D. K.V. Shcherbin.
One department - two ch.k. Nano: M.S. Soskin and S.G. Odulov, USSR State Prize (1982), Award NASU. Acad. K.D. Sinelnikov (1992), Member of the American Optical Society (OSA Fellow, 1999), the Prize Fund A. von Humboldt in physics (2001) and the Japan Soci
Group singular optics fascinating optical polarization singularities of vector fields
(dissertanty Ing. V.G. Denisenko, Ing. V. Slusar).
Group photobiology (doctoral p. District. Village., Ph.D. I.P. Terenetska,
Prize. T. Maiman from laser centers in the U.S., 1994).
Veteran of department K.M. Sal'kov.
"Conqueror" orbital angular momentum of optical vortices Ph.D. Senior Researcher, Ph.D. M.V. Vasnetsov, Award for Young Scientists named. Ostrovsky, 1984.