Department of solid state electronics
Founded on June 17, 1971.
The Head of the DepartmentDoctor of Sciences in Physics and Mathematics
Volodymir M. Poroshin.
Tel.: +380 44 525 10 80
At present the department team consists of 19 collaborators including 4 doctors of sciences (O.G.Sarbey, V.M.Bondar, C.I.Shahovtsova, V.M.Poroshin) and 8 PhD researchers (O.K.Frolova, V.V.Vainberg, M.N.Vinoslavskii, A.V.Kravchenko, S.V.Chirchik, M.I.Slutskii, O.V.Turchin, V.V.Kovalenko).
Major areas of research
- Transport and optical phenomena in bulk semiconductors and heterostructures with complicated band spectra connected with heating electrons by strong electric and infrared light fields.
- Spatial self-arrangement phenomena in the systems of non-equilibrium charge carriers in semiconductor crystals and heterostructures.
- Inversion of charge carriers distribution and investigation of electromagnetic emission in the IR spectral range in bulk semiconductors and heterostructures
- Non-linear optical phenomena connected with free charge carriers in bulk semiconductors and heterostructures
- Optical properties of nano-size composites.
The most important achievement
- In collaboration with scientists of the German Academy of Sciences and the Institute of semiconductors of NAS of Ukraine the phenomenon of multi-value anisotropy of the hot electron conductivity in multi-valley semiconductors is discovered and investigated (Diploma for Discovery No.284, 1984).
- It is shown that violation of equilibrium in the electron system of a multi-valley semiconductor under the conditions of the electrons heating leads to unusual characteristics of all transport properties, in particular, to appearance of a large magnetoresistance with a linear dependence on the magnetic field.
- A new kind of dissipative structures in the bipolar plasma of a multi-valley semiconductor is found: transverse high-field and longitudinal current thermo-diffusive autosolitons.
- A new mechanism of the single-particle non-screened light scattering by free holes caused by scattering due to fluctuations of the quadrupole moment density in the case of intrasubband transitions is found in semiconductors with a degenerate valence band.
- It is established that for semiconductors with a degenerate valence band the dependence of the plasmon frequency on the carrier concentration is weaker as compared to the expected root-like dependence. It is shown that the effect is caused by contribution of transitions between the light and heavy hole subbabnds into the dielectric permittivity of a crystal.
- Existence of anisotropy and non-linearity of the refraction index and absorption coefficient in the multi-valley semiconductors connected with redistribution of electrons among equivalent valleys in consequence of heating by light wave field is experimentally proved.
- Stabilization of the low-frequency instabilities in the liquid crystals by the high frequency electric field is implemented.
- For the porous silicon the birefringence in the visible spectral range is found which is comparable by the order of magnitude with the quartz crystal.
- The dependence of the binding energy of an acceptor impurity and the localization radius of charge carriers on impurities on the position of an impurity atom in the quantum well is found.
- V.М.Poroshin, V.M.Vasetskii. Infrared phase-conjugate reflection by hot electrons induced optical nonlinearity in n-Ge. Applied Physics B72, p.323, 2001.
- M.Ashe, O.G.Sarbey. Influrnce of carrier heating on potential well depth and screening in highly planar-doped GaAs:Si. Physica B314, р.207, 2002.
- V.N.Poroshin, A.V.Gaydar. Band structure effects in light scattering by plasmons in p-type germanium. Ukr.J.Phys., v.49, № 1, p.94, 2004.
- M.Asche, B.Danilchenko, I.Chernobryvcev, D.Poplavskyy and O.Sarbey. Phonon spectroscopy of carrier heating effects in d-dopped GaAs:Si. Sol.St. Phys., v.19, р.25, 2004.
- V.V.Vainberg, Yu.N.Gudenko, P.A.Belevski, M.N.Vinoslavski, V.N.Poroshin, V.M.Vasetski. Current oscillation and high field domains in the InGaAs/GaAs heterostructures with ?-dopped quantum well. Nanosystems, Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies, v.4, № 1, p.1001, 2006.
- M.N.Vinoslavskii, P.A.Belevski, A.V.Kravchenko,.Autosolitons in electron- hole plasma in p-Ge .Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz, v.129, p.477, 2006.
- V.V.Vainberg, Yu.N.Gudenko, V.N.Poroshin, , V.N. Tulupenko H.H.Cheng, Z.P.Yang, V.Mashanov, and K.Y.Wang. Energy characteristics of impurity boron in Si/Si1?xGex heterostructures with on-center and on-edge selective doping of quantum wells. Low Temperature Physics, v..33, p.1143, 2007.
- P.A.Belevskii, V.V.Vainberg, M.N.Vinoslavskii, A.V.Kravchenko, V.N.Poroshin, O.G.Sarbey. Real-space transfer and far-infrared emission of hot electrons in the InGaAs/GaAs heterostructures with tunnel-coupled quantum wells. Ukr.J.Phys., v.54, № 1-2, p.122, 2009.
Photo of department
|Laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine in Science and Technology Dr. Sci. Professor Oleg G. Sarbey.|
|Left to right: graduate Bilovskyy P., Vinoslavs'ka M., Kravchenko A.|
|Shahovtsova S. and Poroshin V.|
|Left to right: Weinberg V., Vasetskyy B., Poroshin V.|
|Turchin O. and Frolov O.|
|Chernomorets N. and Kovalchuk D.|